For the highest chance of success, innovative products need to first identify and satisfy early adopters—not the early majority they’ll eventually need to attract to be successful
First, use the MVP canvas to write a detailed hypothesis of your early customers
Amy Jo suggests using 5 questions to finding those super fans (early adopters):
- Life situation: What defines your super fans? What qualities will you sort on?
- Existing behavior: What behaviors identify people as super fans? What do they DO?
- Unmet need: How urgent and top-of-mind is their pain point, desire or need?
- Alternatives tried: How are they already trying to solve this problem? What have they tried?
- Better than before: What’s their appetite for improvement and change? Do they volunteer ideas?